Thursday 29 May 2014

Cannes Film Festival: Best Dressed

The Cannes Film Festival is ace isn't it? Two weeks devoted to film and fahion; it's like the Oscars are happening for two weeks.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm mostly in it for the fashion. Cannes fashion has a very particular aesthetic: glamour, glamour, glamour. The Couture houses are kings here and I love it.

Here's my top five (well, fiveish) ladies on the Croisette this year...

Blake Lively in Gucci Premiere... Twice


Image source

Image source
Cannes must have a Queen and this year there's no question in my mind that it's Blake Lively. One beautiful actress, one super talented design house and two completely different looks. The first is the definition of modern glamour - simple, slick and stunning. I love the rich burgundy hue and the slick styling. The second look is classic old school glamour at its absolute best. I think this might be the best Blake Lively has ever looked (Ryan Reynolds, also in Gucci, looks ok too I suppose). Everything about this look screams old Hollywood and I adore it. Spot on styling again too, especially the amazing up do.


Uma Thurman in Aterlier Versace


Image source
Yellow is tricky to pull off but this proves that it can be done to stunning effect. The colour is perfect for Uma's skin and the fit is beautiful. The cross over detailing on the bodice and the cape detailing to the shoulders seals it for me.


Lara Stone in Calvin Klein Collection

Image source
Proof that a simple cut when executed well is as effective as the most voluminous ball gown, but then would we expect anything less of Calvin Klein? The colour of this is spectacular. Minimalist styling just adds to the overall affect. David Walliams is a lucky, lucky man.


Freida Pinto in Oscar de la Renta

Image source
I loved this gown when it walked down the catwalk and I love it even more on the beautiful Freida. It's opulent and regal - classic Oscar de la Renta really - and the embellishment is to die for. Top marks for the bang on trend pointy metallic heels too.


Natasha Poly in Oscar de la Renta

Image source
This look is so much fun, so glamorous ans so sexy. More low key than most OdlR red carpet gowns (see above) but no less beautiful. I love the detail of the layered skirt and the fit is perfect. A perfect example of a dramatic smoky eye too.

No comments:

Post a Comment