Saturday 19 July 2014

Lovely, lovely Strasbourg

Have you ever been to a place and completely fallen in love with it in less than 24 hours?

I'm not sure that I had, until I went to Strasbourg last week.

The second I crossed the bridge into the city's gorgeous old centre my heart stopped. Not literally obviously. That would've been unfortunate. The beauty of the place just has to be seen to be believed - and the photos below certainly don't do it justice. It's basically what would happen if Disney imagineers were given free hand to design a city. Stunning to a frankly ridiculous degree.

Architecturally (and culturally) there's an almost Germanic feeling to the place, with a lot of wooden beamed buildings and ornate wooden carvings. And pretzels (not pictured).

That said, the river the circles the city centre gives it an almost Dutch feeling too.

And then there's the cathedral...

I mean look at it, just look at it! And if I'd stopped to take a photo of every building I thought was beautiful I'd still be there now.

Safe to say I will be back, and I will be back soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment