Monday 3 March 2014

Oscars: Best Dressed

I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit disappointed with the Oscars red carpet fashion. I mean it wasn't a car crash like the Grammys or the Brits, but it was all just a bit safe.

Don't get me wrong, basically everyone looked really pretty. There wasn't anyone who got it really wrong, but there weren't many people who got it breathtakingly right either. Even Lupita Nyong'o wasn't doing it for me - her ice blue Prada gown was lovely and she looked beautiful, but it wasn't an 'ohmigod wow' moment for me like her other awards season gowns were. (I was super chuffed to see her walk away with her Oscar though, so deserved.)

Anyway, my favourites...

Kate Hudson in Atelier Versace

This was the one serious wow moment for me. I love the cape detail and the shoulder pads - it's 80s but good 80s. The perfect plunge neck, lovely draping around the waist and impeccable styling lift this look above everyone else.


Sandra Bullock in Alexander McQueen

I think I've mentioned my love of navy blue before on this blog and this look is a great example of why I love it. This is old Hollywood glamour at it's very best. A relatively simple but luxe gown, perfectly cut and expertly styled. Lovely stuff.

 

Amy Adams in Gucci Première

Another fantastic navy look. I love the simplicity here - no fuss, just a perfectly cut gown on a beautiful woman. The minimal detailing on the bust proves that less is very often more when it comes to draping too.

 

Cate Blanchett in Armani Privé

Blanchett and Armani Privé is the sort of celeb-designer red carpet pairing that makes J-Law and Dior Couture even more depressing (though I thought last night's offering was one of the more successful examples of that relationship). I love the delicate embellishment and the just-the-right-amount sheerness of this gown. Stunning jewels too.

 

Naomi Watts in Calvin Klein Collection

A masterclass in subtle embellishment. A beautiful, elegant gown expertly styled. I adore the clutch too.

 

All images here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment