Wednesday 27 May 2015

Best Dressed at the Cannes Film Festival

Literally no one cares about the films at Cannes (trans: I don’t care about the films at Cannes). It’s all about the fashion.

I don’t know what its official motto is - ‘chaussures plates sont interdits’ perhaps? (hashtag satire) - but it should be go big or go home. Google Translate informs me that translates as aller grand ou rentrer à la maison but I feel like something’s got lost there...

Anyway, with the two week long festivities all over for another year here’s the looks that caught my eye. TL;DR: Ralph and Russo Couture won.

Fan Bingbing in Ralph and Russo Couture

Image source.
Princess on fleek. (I don’t know what that word means - because old - I hope I’ve used it right.) This dress is just stunning - the colour, the embroidery, the train - but it’s the cape sleeves that have got me all excited, my stance on capes being well known at this point. The styling is perfect too, with the tassled clutch perfectly complimenting the eastern feel of the look. So, so elegant.

Aishwarya Rai in Ralph and Russo Couture

Image source.
A second home run for Ralph and Russo. I love the architectural structure of this dress, and that it plays it up without swamping Aishwarya’s figure. The minimal but beautiful detailing let’s the structure shine as does her barely there styling - I love that Old Hollywood hair. A different type of elegance to Fan Bingbing’s, but elegance nonetheless.

Cate Blanchett in Giles

Image source.
Here’s a phrase I never thought I’d use: she looks like a cool Death Star and I love it so much! This dress is so modern, so British and so, for want of a less overused word, so edgy that it shouldn't work in classic Cannes but it really does. Mostly, I suspect, because Queen Cate is wearing it and gives zero fucks. Completely stripped back styling let the dress sing, or more likely mosh, and that Cinderella style climbing the stairs pose is one of my favourite photos of the year. J’adore.

Sophie Marceau in Alexandre Vauthier Couture

Image source.
Something else that shouldn't work on the red carpet anywhere, let alone Cannes, is a shirt dress but here we are. There’s something so French cool about this, so ‘yeah, I genuinely woke up like this’ that I just cannot get enough of. The snake necklace is a great rock and roll finishing touch, as is the bed hair and perfect ‘undone’ makeup. Summer dressing goals. 

Charlize Theron in Christian Dior Couture

Image source.
One word: statuesque. Actually two words: statuesque perfection. Yellow is so hard to wear, but you wouldn't know it from this. I think it’s the styling that seals the deal - the perfect hair and understated but somehow still massive jewels - and the poise that she wears it with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment