Thursday 30 September 2010

WWE: WTF?

So a few people have commented on the inclusion of WWE in the list of topics for this blog. Well, I say 'commented on'. Perhaps 'screamed WTF? at' is more accurate! Seriously, of all the comments, texts, tweets etc I've had about the blog the vast majority have been: 'you like WWE? Really? But... why?' So I'm going to tell you why.

I've always liked soaps. I grew up watching Home and Away and Neighbours with my mum, graduated to Eastenders and Holby City when I was in school, then Hollyoaks and back to Neighbours when I was a student. I don't watch them so much anymore - generally I lack the time and concentration span on weekday, post-work, evenings - but the contrived and ridiculous storylines and characterisation have always appealed to my love of trashy yet addictive TV. As my love of Strictly demonstrates, I also love watching things that are physically impressive and well choreographed.

I first remember WWE back in the day when it was called WWF, I was seven and everyone in my school was obsessed with Bret 'The Hitman' Hart. Fast forward 15 years and my night owl flatmate Chris (whose average bedtime is somewhere between midnight and 4am) started casually watching WWE in its graveyard slot on Sky Sports. I'm not sure why. I guess there's very little else on at that time of night. As tends to happen when you live in a flat that's not overly endowed with space, because Chris got into it I started to watch it too.

I have to admit I initially thought it was incredibly puerile and stupid. However, once I'd watched a couple of episodes I started to get into the storylines. Despite myself, I actually cared whether John Morrison (of whom more later) got the Intercontinental Title off Rey Mysterio. I got really annoyed when, having won said title, he lost it to the interminably dull and angry Drew McIntrye. And from then on I was kind of hooked.

The feuding, storylines and characters in WWE are ridiculous. But, probably because of this, they are also stupidly addictive. How can you not get behind all round nice guy John Cena against the bullying and deeply humourless Nexus? It's typical American family entertainment: 100% good v 100% bad, simple, no shades of grey. I like that, especially after a long days work. Of course it helps that all round nice guy John Cena is also a serious hottie.

Which brings me nicely on to my final point. The wrestlers in WWE are HOT. I mean seriously, cold-shower, lie-down-in-a-darkened-room hot. Why do I like WWE so much? Here are a few reasons: John Morrison, John Cena, Randy Orton, Justin Gabriel, Alberto del Rio, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston... You get the extremely attractive picture!

And to end on a specific point Caron made would I like to see Anton doing this sort of stuff? Not especially - his impressive chest rug and unbelievably svelte dancer's body doesn't lend itself to WWE-chic. But I wouldn't mind checking out some of the WWE guys on Strictly! John Morrison's rumba? Yes please!  

No comments:

Post a Comment