Monday 21 February 2011

Award season round up - best dressed at the BAFTAs, SAGs, Brits and Grammys

It was very poorly planned of me to let my blogging slide during awards season. As previously stated, I love awards season and its excuses for unadulterated fashion perving (and bitchiness). The Golden Globes got this year's crop off to a flyer as well - I'm still salivating over Mila Kunis' emerald green beauty. How could the other ceremonies every compete with that parade of loveliness?

The Screen Actors Guild Awards (SAGs is such a hideous acronym) put up a good fight led, once again, by Mila Kunis in completely stunning deep red Alexander McQueen. I am developing a serious girl crush on Mila. Her red carpet choices are just bang on at the moment. I CANNOT WAIT to see her Oscars gown this weekend. Honourable mentions also to Lea Michelle, who looked beautiful in Oscar de la Renta with a plunging neckline, and Julia Stiles, staying the right side of gothic in dip dyed Monique Lhuillier. Controversially, I also want to mention a man at this point. Red carpet dressing for men is easy. No one ever gets it horrifically wrong, but rarely does anyone deserve a special mention for getting it right either. That said, I give you Andrew Garfield in midnight blue Burberry. Yeah. I just swooned a little.

Next up were the BAFTAs and Grammys, irritatingly holding ceremonies on the same night. In fashion terms these two couldn't have been further apart though. The Grammys were loud, sequinned and unapologetically glam. The BAFTAs were... well... underwhelming frankly. For a start Mila Kunis wasn't there. Instant fashion points lost! Overall the dresses were understated, which in many cases is a polite way of saying dull. There were some high points though. My pick goes to the ever gorgeous Julianne Moore who was the epitome of old Hollywood class in deep blue floor length velvet by the equally gorgeous Tom Ford. This dress was really simple, but incredibly effective against her hair and skin tone. I also liked Thandie Newton's shocking pink swirly Monique Lhuillier (who's having a bit of a moment) and Jessica Alba's colour pop cobalt blue Atelier Versace.

At the other end of the scale and the other side of the pond, the big names at the Grammys were having much more fun. I loved J Lo's completely age inappropriate futuristic Emilio Pucci and a newly-svelte Jennifer Hudson's gorgeous dark blue (I spot a theme here) Versace with a stunning sequinned bust. At the risk of being shouted down loudly and quickly, though, my top spot for this one is going to Kim Kardashian. Yes, you read that correctly. I adored her in her gold sequinned split to the waist/thigh KaufmanFranco number. Subtle it is not, but I defy you to say she looks anything other than stunning.

Last and least were the Brits. I've tried to pick three gowns per ceremony for the purposes of this post (plus Andrew Garfield. I'm still swooning) but from the disappointing crop of disappointing 'stars' who walked the red carpet for the Brits I only found two I thought were worth mentioning. Managing to look individual without being completely insane was Rihanna in eye popping Christian Dior Haute Couture. I'm not claiming for a second I would ever wear this, but I loved it on RiRi. Very much from the school of 'shouldn't work but it does' fashion as ever. I also loved Katherine Jenkins pouring her gorgeous curves into lush Vivienne Westwood florals. More conservative - and wearable - than Dior Couture, but no less lovely for it.

There's just the one ceremony left in the 2011 season now: The Oscars, this Sunday. Bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment