Tuesday 8 March 2011

International Women's Day: a day to celebrate women who are truly inspirational

So today is International Women's Day and I am angry. It's not the concept of IWD that's riling me (although I find it depressing that given we're half the population we still need a day), it's the slew of completely ridiculous polls being released by the media on who are 'the most inspirational women'.

Some examples. The Metro's reader poll to find the most influential female Londoner of the past century, won by Leona Lewis. I mean, come on, really?! Nice voice, sure. Best X Factor winner ever, probably. But most influential London woman of the past 100 years. No. 

How about Sky Living's pick? To be fair, it included some with which I agree (JK Rowling, Helen Mirren, Victoria Beckham). But then it also included Jordan. More depressing, offensively so, was some of their reasoning. Take Tess Daly, who they seem to have decided to include because she took Vernon Kay back after the 'sexting' scandal. Or Claudia Winkleman, included because she dressed nicely and people like her. The one that really made me viscerally angry, though, was Katy Perry, included (and this is a direct quotation) "for bagging Russell Brand".

Now I don't know about you, but for me an inspirational woman isn't someone who's well dressed, pretty or has a hot man. I mean what does this say about what we think women are for? Eye candy? Bearing children? Getting married? Is that really it? Is this the 1950s?

For me, an inspirational woman is someone who's made the world a better place with their gifts, their talents and just by being here. Women like JK Rowling, Helen Mirren, Victoria Beckham, Kathy Freeman, Lynne Featherstone, Mother Teresa, Rosa Parks, my all time hero Judi Dench and all of the millions of other women doing amazing things whose names we don't even know. And of course, my mum. 

As for why we still need IWD, check out this amazingly effective video:



Powerful stuff, Mr Bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment